Sunday 30 March 2014

Happy Mother's Day

Today is Mother's Day in the UK, which is a bit odd to me as I'm always used to it being in May in the US. I had noticed Mother's Day type signs and whatnot in stores lately, but it didn't occur to me it was actually this weekend until a friend mentioned it last week. Andrew and Lois got me some pretty gerbera daisys, which I think look really pretty in our front room. Of course motherhood is not always roses and sunshine and often has me about to yank my hair out, but as frustrating and hard that it can be, it's also very enjoyable and rewarding. It's definitely harder than I expected though. I read this on Facebook today and could relate to much of what she wrote.


There's something in particular about pictures of my girls for me that always calms me down if I get especially worked up over some challenging incident. After a stressful time with Lois, I often find myself looking at pictures of her after she's gone to bed and think about how sweet and adorable she is (not just was, but is) and somehow this always puts things back in perspective for me. I'm glad I take so many pictures of our girls. I dug out some of Lois's old clothes recently and came across a favorite outfit, a blue jumpsuit that she wore during our fun blue breakfast a few years ago. It looked so small and I thought I better get Ellie into it at least once before she's too small for it. I love comparing their pictures at similar ages and in the same outfits. First, Lois four years ago...
And Ellie today...

Precious sweeties. I'm so grateful to be their mom. Happy Mother's Day. 


5 comments:

Vintage Sheet Addict said...

They are beautiful! :) x

RhymesWithCakes said...

Beautiful girls.
I read the link to what you'd read on Facebook and I sat nodding my head throughout. I could have written every word. Makes me feel better to know it's not just me x

Julia said...

Gorgeous flowers! Happy Mother's Day! I agree, parenting is not always easy, but can be very rewarding at times. I also find myself looking at photos of my daughter and reminiscing at night after she has gone to bed... especially if it's been a very rough day of parenting. You are to alone.

Julia said...

Oops "you are not alone".
And I enjoyed looking about on your blue breakfast. Lois is such a doll, and your garden is gorgeous! Both of your girls are adorable.

Jill said...

Such a bright and beautiful photo - Happy Mother's Day!