Tuesday 31 March 2015

Pretty In Pink

Right now we're in Cornwall with some friends in a beautiful rental. More on that soon! It's a nice little break from life at home. I'm happy to be away from our own house to escape our daily routine and to have some time with friends.
Most of my time the last few weeks has been spent dashing around London taking photos in amazing fabric and knitting shops for my book. I really haven't had much time to do anything else. At night I work on editing the photos and doing the writing as well. I'm trying to get the bulk of the photos out of the way first though since that part is the most time-consuming.
I've made a little time for sewing too, thanks to the fact that I took a class to finish something. I took the ultimate shirt class at Sew Over It and loved it. I had a hard time choosing the fabric. I wanted to like it enough so that if the shirt turned out well, I'd actually wear it, but I didn't want to spend a lot in case I wrecked the shirt. I ended up picking a really pretty pink print at Sew Over It just before class. It wasn't cheap, but as soon as I saw it, it reminded me of all the little pretty blossoms budding on trees and I really wanted it for the shirt. I love seeing spring in bloom and have been trying to make sure and stop and smell the roses, or notice the pretty blossoms, as it were.
I didn't take photos of my shirt in progress but here it is finished. I'm glad I took a class to make it because the cuffs and collar were a bit tricky and I'm not sure I would have been able to do it well by myself. I almost wrecked it doing the buttonholes. Even though I've done buttonholes before, it's been a while. I practiced but still had trouble getting them neat. I need one more button for the top but decided to use what I had anyway. I'm really pleased with the collar and cuffs though. And the fit was really nice without altering the pattern, just a little tinkering needed on the darts. Here's a quick snap with my phone of me wearing it before we headed out of town. 

1 comment:

mollymell said...

Nice shirt, nice fabric, very springy.

It seems everywhere I look online people are enjoying blooms here & there, and we still have some snow on the ground, how sad is that? :(

Love, love your photos, specially the first one. I love this idea of collage, mixing things and make them look even prettier.