Monday 14 October 2013

Birthday Baking

Last week Lois had her 5th birthday. I can't believe she's already five! I think everyone who has children can't believe how fast their children grow up and remark on that as they get older, but time does fly. We had a really fun party over the weekend. As soon as I get the party photos on my computer, I'll do a party post. But before the party we had to bake a few things.
On her birthday, I made a one layer chocolate cake, ahem, from a mix out of a box. I can't remember the last time I made something from a mix, maybe a few years, but I was in a hurry. I don't think homemade really takes that much longer than a mix, just adding a few more ingredients, but on her birthday I barely got that done (homemade icing though...I really don't like the taste of pre-made icings). For the party we made cupcakes and two types of shortbread cookies, cardamom and lemon. Lois had fun decorating her cupcakes. We used this recipe for the cupcakes and this recipe for the buttercream icing, which my friend Katie gave me. She made some and brought them over a few weeks ago and they were delicious. I added confetti sprinkles to the batter hoping they'd melt a bit like this, but that didn't quite work out. They still looked fun. The cardamom cookie recipe was from Vegetarian Cooking for Everyoneand I used the same recipe for the lemon but instead of adding cardamom added lemon zest and a lemon icing on top. Both were delicious. More from the party later this week!

4 comments:

Vintage Sheet Addict said...

Happy Birthday to your daughter! Time is so precious, Savory every moment :) x

Claire said...

Yum, lemon cookies with icing. They sound perfect with a cuppa, or a 5th birthday party! Sounds like you had fun.

Claire xx
http://somewhereyonder.blogspot.co.uk/

Elizabeth said...

I found your blog through Alicia "Posie gets cozy"
I always love finding fun blogs like yours!

I live in the San Francisco bay area. My daughter moved to London back in 2011, I'm going for a visit real soon, and can't wait to see all the hidden fun places she has found.

look forward to following your blog. Happy Birthday to your daughter, October birthdays are the best ;) I just celebrated mine a few days ago.

Leigh said...

Thanks everyone!