Saturday 31 August 2013

The Montage

Good coffee, compelling art, and vintage treasures all in one place? Yes, please do give me directions! When we were glamping, one of our hut neighbors turned out to be an actual neighbor. Small world, huh? Well, sort of anyway. She and her family live in the neighborhood next to ours called Forest Hill. She mentioned a new cafe called The Montage that happens to have a kids' play area in the back. I'm up for any cafe that has a play area for tots, which is, I've found, the key to having a somewhat peaceful cafe experience with children in tow. She also told me it's also part art galley and part vintage shop. So naturally I decided to check it out.
It's right across from Stag and Bow, which I figured would make a good pairing for a morning out. Lois and Ellie had a great time in the play room, and I was able to enjoy (and actually finish!) my lunch. I had quiche and salad and a tea, all very nice. Lois had some quiche too and a very good brownie. I'm picky about brownies and thought theirs was very good. I also did a bit of browsing and shopping. I loved all the mis-matched furniture and light fixtures, book page wallpaper, and a first for me was seeing film strips used as window treatments. A very creative idea, I thought. The children's area is tucked in the back near the garden. I didn't take a photo though because quite a few children were back there playing and most people don't appreciate strangers taking photos of their kids, so I didn't take a photo, but they have lots of toys for a variety of ages (the under 5s mainly). If you go with small children, I'd recommend leaving your buggy at home if possible only because there is not much room for buggies and you have to go down a few stairs to get to the children's room. Here is a look into The Montage. I love the little Sussex embroidery I scored (last photo shown)!

No comments: