Monday 22 July 2013

Belated Beach Week

Look at that cute little bottom! Lil' Miss who does not like water actually took to the beach pretty well. (Lois picked out the Peppa Pig tutu swimsuits, by the way. It would not have been my first choice, but they did look adorable in them.) It was great to see the girls on the beach and a really nice visit in general. I have so many photos that it's hard to choose just a few but this gives you a good idea of what it's like to be in Seagrove, FL with me and my family. The water and sand are amazing there. Icy blue-green water and fluffy white sand. It was aunts, uncles, cousins, my mom, my sister, her family and a bunch more. When I was growing up, we'd go to Destin, FL many summers and the last few years we've tried to get together as adults and make a big family event out of it. Last year we couldn't go because I was too pregnant, and the year before... I can't remember why we didn't go, but we went for a few years before that. In the past we met in Edisto, SC, but I prefer the gulf because the water and sand are much prettier (though you don't find the amazing seashells that you do in Edisto). We had a really good visit but were all bummed by the bad weather. Argh, that annoying tropical storm had to rain on our parade, literally! It rained, I mean poured, 4 out of 6 days of our beach vacation. I went on and on to Lois weeks before we left about how fun the 4th of July parade and fireworks show would be. Parent fail. Probably should not have said a peep as the parade was canceled and the fireworks were minimal. I also learned that riding in a car with a 4 year old who easily gets motion sickness and an 11 month old, who is not used to riding in cars, for 6 hours is not a whole lotta fun. I'm glad my mom was willing to cart us all there and back. (We don't have driver's licenses, but that's another story. I haven't driven a car in more than 3 years, which just sounds nutso to me.) So this is Florida!
If I can manage to squeeze in time for more posting this week, it'll be on our Lisbon adventure. My goal today was to clean out the kitchen cabinets. I cleaned out one kitchen cabinet. Was I sitting around eating bon bons? Nope. Not sure what I was doing exactly but I sure was busy! Ah, motherhood. Actually, I got a little bit of a lot done, which is better than nothing!
Beautiful water and sunshine the first few days. 
The girls enjoyed the beach. 
Cool cats. Some of my family.
Me and my sister!
Me in a swimsuit I love. My aunt thought it looked "granny" and said, go put on your bikini! Ha. But I love it. 
And then the clouds rolled in.
View through the sliding glass door. Pretty much what it looked like for 4 days. Blah. 
The rain usually stopped for a while each evening and we'd all go on the beach and the kids would make up for missing a day of fun in the sun. They had a blast in the flooded beach. 
And we managed to get a few family photos in our ice cream dresses!
We'll hope for a sunnier week next year! 

2 comments:

Julia said...

So sorry you had so much rain, but it looks you all made the best of it. Your photos are so lovely. And I agree that the gulf coast is so much prettier than the east coast. Your children look adorable in their swimsuits. And I love the family pics - awesome ice cream dresses!

Michelle said...

Its adorable! The suit, not granny at all :)