Thursday 8 November 2012

Doll Making

I've been meaning to make Lois a doll now for, oh, about 4 years. I've had this weird anxiety about her turning 4, sort of a panic really. I remember when she was 1, thinking, I can't wait till she's 4 or 5! I felt like the age between 1 and 2 was really hard. Now, I can't believe how fast time has gone by and that she's already 4. I've had so many things in mind that I wanted to make for her while she was little, including clothes (and I've only made 2 simple dresses so far in her life). When I look at her she looks like such a big girl, and before I know it, she's not going to be interested in anything I make for her. So finally I've made her a doll!
I made one for Lois and one for Eleanor. They are so cute! I can't wait to make more. I want to make one for my mom, my sister and myself. I think they'd make great gifts too, and it would be easy to make a boy version. The dolls are from Emily Martin's pattern, which you can find here via this Martha Stewart link. There is also a video there as well. And you can see many more of Emily Martin's adorable dolls on her blog. My favorites are the ones with accessories, like hats and books. The instructions were very easy to follow. I did not paint the doll faces though, as the instructions said to do. I was too afraid to make the entire doll only to mess it up at the end. I feel like the doll face can make or break the doll. I realized later I forgot to put a nose on Lois's doll, so I'll have to go back and do that! Here are a few pictures of the dolls coming to life. 
I chose fabrics that would match their rooms, and I already had all the supplies needed so it was pretty easy to get it all together to get started. I re-sewed the stitching around the hair a few times because if it went crooked, it was very obvious and I felt like it made her hair and face look sloppy, so go slow there as you sew. 

 The legs were a bit of a pain to stuff! I would recommend adding a bit more space around the legs when you cut them out to give you more seam allowance. I had to do some minor surgery after stuffing them where the seams came open a bit. And have a chopstick ready to turn the fabric out. It helps. 
I was very excited when I was almost done! 
Finished! (But one still needs a nose!)
 They look cute in their respective rooms. Yay for doll-making! I also have a doll and soft friends Pinterest board. It's been a good place to hold ideas for more possible projects. Have fun making a doll if you decide to do it too!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

They are adorable, what a great job you've done! I started making something similar that I saw in Mollie Makes magazine (might be the same pattern) but she got sidelined.

I know what you mean about time passing all to quickly, my twins are about to turn 3 and I'm guilty of wishing the time away when they were babies because they were such hard work, but now they're growing into proper big children, scary!

Have a great day :-)

marilu said...

Leigh! they are absolutely stunning! well done! everything you make looks so beautiful! great that now that you have started you want to make more! cannot wait to see the new ones!