Wednesday 14 April 2010

Before and After

We have this unusual piece of furniture that I bought at The Pickled Hutch that we used to use as a bar. I'm not sure what it was originally built for, but it looks handmade, and I love it. It made a great bar (and I think it would make a good desk too), but I couldn't find a home for it in our new place, so I decided to make it an outdoor bar / potting table. I sanded it a bit, gave it a few coats of creamy ivory paint, and now it's our garden bar! Ready for some cute potted plants and lemonade or wine for guests. I want to have some potted plants on the side shelves, and maybe glasses on some of them, and then use the top as the bar. I think it turned out pretty well! Now we just have to get a nice table and and some chairs for the garden so we can sit and sip. You ready to join me on the patio?

10 comments:

the letters i wish i'd written... said...

Ooh that is crying out for summer cocktail parties!

jules said...

that turned out great!!!

Lisa & Alfie said...

Wow, Leigh. it looks amazing. And apparently just begging for this transformation. I have always liked the height of that piece for serving so I'm glad it still gets to be a bar. That backyard is so cute.
xoxo,
Lisa & Alfie

mizzshelley said...

um, yeah!!!

Amy said...

Looks awesome!

Awais said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Awais said...

Preety good!!!!!

caroline said...

be there as soon as i can.

Twinkleberry said...

Oh that's lovely! Well done! Will it be weatherproof? what kind of paint did you use? I sound nosy.... I am ....but I also want to know as I have some garden furniture that I want to paint, and I'm not sure what kind of paint to use...!?

Leigh said...

Hi Twinkleberry, sorry to be so slow to respond! It's not weatherproof, just high gloss paint, 3 coats. I did buy outdoor clear varnish and planned to cover it in that too, but I haven't done that yet. I like a weathered look though, so I don't mind if it gets worn out outside :)