Monday 6 April 2009

Feathered Friends

Have you seen the March issue of Martha Stewart Living with the "Flights of Fancy" article? Well, if you like to use birds in your decorating, or table settings, you'll probably like this article. Birds are timeless and probably won't ever go out of style. When I looked at the table setting above I thought I was seeing one of my bird salt and pepper shakers. The bird in the magazine is actually a condiment server and not part of a set of salt and pepper shakers (hence its missing mate).

Here are my S-n-P birds (Sally and Peter). My mom gave them to me. She always finds the best things! I love them. Peter is missing a foot, but that's okay. I have a little collection of salt and pepper shakers, and these are some of my favorites.

Here are just a few more pictures from the article showing some beautiful flatware.



Speaking of feathered friends, meet my new hatpin friend that I bought at the flea market this weekend. I'm trying to figure out what kinds of feathers are on the pin and if the base is sterling. What do you think? Is it even a hatpin for sure? The woman I bought it from said it was and she had a lot of vintage hats and clothes and seemed to know what she was talking about. Do you think you can tell me anything about this hatpin? I've found some information online but want to see what you guys think to be sure before I list it in my etsy shop.

And I want to say thanks to Dawn from The Feathered Nest for sending over so many of her friends last week for my jewelry giveaway! I think almost all the comments came over from her blog friends, so thanks Dawn! And she's one of the main reasons I have a blog in the first place. I remember being at The Plum Tree with my mom and seeing Dawn there when she tried to convince me I should have a blog, and now I do!

5 comments:

caroline said...

wow that pin is gorgeous! i know nothing about feathers... did you hit alameda?

Lisa & Alfie said...

It oculd be a hat pin or just a regular brooch. Anyway you look at it it's very pretty. It looks like one peacock feather in there. I take it you went to Alemany? I did end up at Alameda and it was booming. Mostly smalls,not much furniture. I did get a huge amazing chandelier though. How are you?
Lisa & Alfie

Leigh said...

Thanks Lisa, and yeah, I went to Alemany. Wanted to go to Alameda, but it's too much of a long day out with Lois to go there by myself with her. Andrew's out of town, otherwise I may have gone. That's great that it was good for you!

The Feathered Nest said...

Hi Leigh! You're so very welcome!! Well, I just love blogging and hoped you would too ~ I'm so glad you decided to do it! I'm loving that Martha feature...I'll have to check it out!! xxoo, Dawn

lauren said...

I so love those bird spoons and of course will not hunt and hunt for them!