Saturday 14 February 2009

Musee d'Orsay and the Eiffel Tower

This morning we asked Lois what she'd like to do today, and she said she wanted to go to the Musee d'Orsay and the Eiffel Tower. She thought it would be really romantic to go to the Eiffel Tower on Valentine's day. Here she is posing in her Valentine outfit before we left.

First, we went to the museum. The Musee d'Orsay is wonderful, in part because it's not too overwhelming. It's not especially small, but in comparison to the Louvre it is. It's also known for its extensive impressionist collection, which is a period I like a lot, so it appeals to me. And then there's the building itself, which is really interesting and unique as it used to be a train station. Lois only got fussy a few times, but we were able to calm her down without having to leave. (One thing that was nice was they had a baby changing room with chairs--like a little sitting room for mommy and baby, so I was able to feed her privately.)

You can see how cool the building looks from one of the upper floors.

I love seeing famous paintings in person. I always think it's neat to see art in person that I've seen in books and on cards, etc.


One of the most impressive things at the museum was this model of the Paris Opera. It was really big as you can see and very detailed. It must have taken a really long time to make.

This is a close-up picture of the stage.

We ate lunch at the museum restaurant. This is what we saw when we looked up--fescos and chandeliers. A real fancy pants French restaurant.

Then we went to the Eiffel Tower! It was a beautiful day, as you can see.

There was a carousel near the tower. Cute French music played as it spun around. It was so French!

Me and Lois at the Eiffel Tower! She will love this when she's older (I hope so anyway).

Attempted family self-picture. That's Lois under the bear ears.

Lois was actually asleep here. Still, I couldn't resist trying to get a picture of her with me in front of the Eiffel Tower.

Tomorrow's our last day here before we go back to Zurich. We're going to a flea market and . . . I'm not sure what else yet, but I know it will make me happy because it will be something here.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm soooooo jealous! What a wonderful way to spend Valentine's Day. I visited Musee D'Orsay two springs ago and it was definitely my favorite experience in Paris. I didn't even know it existed but on the flight over the Atlantic I sat beside a high school teacher from Alabama taking some art students to Paris. He insisted that I visit the museum. It was surreal to see in person art that I'd seen only in books.

BTW, I discovered your blog a few weeks ago and have it posted on my list of favorites on my 2 blogs: MidCentury Jewelry and The Antiquer's Rant. Audrey

caroline said...

that last photo is the best of the lot

Mindy said...

Cool photos, thanks for sharing! Yes, that last photo of you + Lois is so sweet. She will love looking at that for years to come. :)

Anonymous said...

Eiffel tower in Paris : just So beautifull !