Wednesday 11 February 2009

Lindenhof

This morning started out cold and snowy. The snowflakes were huge and whizzing by when we woke up. It looked so pretty. I love the snow. Being from the south, I've only seen snow a handful of times in my life, so it's really exciting to see. Today I went to Lindenhof park with Lois strapped into the carrier in her cozy bear suit. I always think it's neat to actually be somewhere that Samantha's been on Passport to Europe. I remember her being in Lindenhof park where she saw men playing chess and was accosted by cute school girls who sang to her. I can't find a clip of that part of the show, but if you've seen the Passport to Europe for Switzerland, you know what I'm talking about.

We took the train from our neighborhood, then made our way to the park down Bahnhofstrasse, Zurich's ritzy 5th Avenue sort of street, then we turned down another nice street, Rennweg. I got a little lost trying to find the exact way to the park, but it turned out that there were a few different ways to get there anyway.

Once we got there, we saw the amazing view of the city that I had read about and saw on Passport to Europe. The dominant building you see above is Grossmunster Cathedral across the river Limmat.

From the park you can see most of the city and pretty houses on the surrounding hills. By the time we got there in the afternoon, the snow had mostly melted. I wish I had gone earlier. I think the houses would have looked pretty all snow covered.

In the park there's a huge chess board with equally huge chess pieces. I was happy to see some men playing when I got there.

From the park you can also see St. Peter's church.

We couldn't make it all the way home without a sweet treat. I got an apple pastry of some sort here at this tiny bakery. It was delicious.

Oh, and yes, Lois had her first solid food this morning! I don't think she liked it. Unfortunately the other pictures were blurry, but she was making a sour face most of the time. We'll try again tomorrow before we head to Paris. Yes, Paris is next! We'll be there for the weekend.

1 comment:

Silver Bee said...

I've really enjoyed all these posts! Lois is just getting cuter every day. if she doesn't stop i might just pop!