Wednesday 31 October 2007

Earthquake!


Holy cow, did you feel it? If you live anywhere near San Francisco or south of the city you did. IT SCARED THE LIVING YOU KNOW WHAT OUT OF ME! It was a 5.6 magnitude earthquake near San Jose (about 50 miles south of here), but we could certainly feel it here. I don't think they scare a lot of people who have lived here a long time. I think most people are used to them. Little ones happen all the time here. But I'm certainly not used to them. It's a much different feeling than I would have imagined. Before we lived here I imagined it would feel like really, really strong thunder--the kind that can shake a house. But it's much more frightening than that. You can really feel the power of the earth moving in a way you can't with booming thunder. It made our apartment feel like a bowl of jell-o. Fragile to say the least. And it's clear that there's really no time to prepare at all. It starts and is happening before you know it. Andrew was just talking to his co-worker who lives in Palo Alto, which is closer to San Jose than us, and he said it sounded like a freight train in the back yard and that his kids are really scared. Me too, and it wasn't even that strong here. California does have its faults, and I'd rather not be here for the next big one.

5 comments:

Lisa & Alfie said...

Yup! It was pretty strong and lasted way too long for comfort. I can't even think of what might have happened at the store!
p.s. you never get used to them!

dawn said...

i do not miss those one bit.

Anonymous said...

Yikes! I'm glad you guys are okay. : ) I think I would be terrified if I ever experienced an earthquake! I live in South Bama where tornadoes and hurricanes reign. As a matter-of-fact, I live in Enterprise, the city that was struck by the tornado on March 1st this year.

Michelle said...

Holy crap! I am so glad you guys are ok, I woke up in the middle of the night when we had the earthquake in GA, it was a few years ago, it was a strong one, and I was dreaming that I was at the beach on a house on stilts, you know how they sway, then I kept waking up and I was like, hey...my room is swaying, and I am so not at the beach...hm, oh it stopped. I didn't hear anything though, so I was not as scared as you must have been, SEEEe, another reason to move back to hotlanta!

Heidi said...

Oh, that brings back memories of my three years in Southern California. There was a pretty big one based in Pasadena, where I lived and it woke me up in the early morning. Scared the crap out of me!